The World Bank has announced this Monday, October 5, to be World Habitat Day!
What is World Habitat Day?
“On this day, we reaffirm that adequate shelter is a basic human right, and we focus on the housing conditions of cities and towns around the world. We also use this day to remind the world of its collective responsibility for the future of the human habitat.”
How can you help?
Educate yourself and your friends and family.
- Read Habitat’s World Habitat Day handbook to learn more about the importance of secure tenure and neighborhood revitalization.
- Take a virtual tour of the Capotillo informal settlement in the Dominican Republic.
- Read statistics and research about poverty housing in the U.S. and around the world.
- Link to our World Habitat Day 2009 resources page on your social media pages, personal Web site or blog.
Advocate for decent housing for all.
- Submit a photo of yourself holding a sign that says “It all starts at home” and submit it to Habitat’s photo petition on Flickr.com.
- Send a message to your members of Congress on World Habitat Day.
- Tell your friends and family to take action too! Use the “Email” button at the top of this page to share this Web page.
Join a World Habitat Day event in your community.
Visit World Habitat Day events.
Donate to support Habitat’s efforts.
Donate online today.
For more information, visit Habitat for Humanity